More school

Also, my school approach is making me think a lot about school for Dutch. (Because EVERYTHING in my life comes back to Dutch. Phew.) The school system is geared toward encouraging students to do well at tests and turn in their homework, and succeed at school, and I don't think it's served me very well. I did well at school, but somehow never really figured out that doing well at school has nothing to do with doing well at life. I wish Dutch could learn that earlier than I did. Obviously it can't be learned by just being told - you pick up values like that from the environment around you. I absorbed the understanding that it was important to do well at school, and that if you succeed at school, future success will just unfurl from that.

This is what I want Dutch to absorb, magically, from the world around her:

School is a tool. Going to school teaches you some important logistical skills, like showing up on time, working with other people, and getting work done by deadlines. Going to school gives you the opportunity to identify what interests you. Going to school gives you the chance to move forward toward your future life of work.

I guess I should look seriously into alternative school options for this kid, since what I'm describing is starting to sound like one of those schools where kids don't learn to read until they decide they want to...

Also, on an unrelated note, this morning I overheard Dutch, engrossed in one of her complicated, mysterious narrative games, saying "and then I punched the wise man in the face..." - apparently they're starting preparing for Christmas early at her daycare.

Comments

Popular Posts