diligently practicing

Braxton Hicks* contractions are driving me crazy. They started at around 20 weeks, and I'm sick of them. Dutch Braxton Hicksed me like crazy, so much that I several times panicked and had to sit down and time them, because the rule of thumb is that if you have more than 4 per hour, you might really be in labor. I had more than 4 an hour pretty often in the last few months of pregnancy. I decided not to freak out, and in the end I didn't go into labor until my due date.** This now seems silly to me because labor contractions turned out to be so very much NOT like Braxton Hicks contractions.

Anyway, my mostly-unfounded theory is that the super-efficiency of Dutch's birth was due to all those Braxton Hicks contractions - my uterus, unlike the rest of my body, apparently spends most of my pregnancies working out, making itself incredibly fit. If my theory is correct, this next baby should be born after about 12 minutes of labor.


*Also the name of a character in a silly British series of which I am fond.
** The last time Dutch did ANYTHING without dawdling.

Comments

Anonymous said…
no no, i was thinking the same thing, about dutch's incredibly efficient labor being tied to the abundant braxton hickses.
which doesn't make your theory any more founded, of course. or maybe it makes it twice as founded, since at least two of us think so.
hmm.

Popular Posts