Ugh

Yesterday the whole family was totally out of commission, stricken with what we think was food poisoning. Skipper was unaffected, because she doesn't really eat anything, but she's got a bad cold, and was feeling a little under the weather too.* Dutch was a champ; this was her first experience of adult-style illness, in which you barf multiple times and feel bad all day** and she not only made it to the bathroom in time every time, she was cheerful and almost... stoic. This is not an adjective I have EVER used for Dutch before.

Anyway, Cook and I were pretty much either asleep all day - one of us stayed out on the couch to keep a nominal eye on the kids while they played and read. At 5, I gathered my strength and went out with Dutch to walk 250 feet to the convenience store, so I could buy the sick-people-food I'd been wishing for all afternoon. I wore my pyjamas and my glasses (the broken ones, repaired with duct tape), and felt all addled, but when we got home, the whole family sat/lay on the living room floor and ate a delicious dinner of pretzels and ginger ale. We were all asleep for the night by 8 PM. Dutch is back at school today, fully recuperated, but Cook and I are still feeling pretty crappy, though enormously better than yesterday.

Also, the popcorn ceilings are gone! And the abatement workers didn't destroy the plaster ceilings! I was finally able to get over today to see how things are going, and was much relieved.



*This was good, because it meant she better tolerated staying home all day with a bunch of zombies.
** As opposed to the small-child experience of illness, in which you barf once, feel bad for an hour, and then are perfectly fine.

Comments

Popular Posts