Summer, with gritted teeth.

I feel bad about complaining about the weather, when some of you are miserably hot. But we really have scarcely had summer weather here at all. It's been the coldest, greyest, rainiest summer anybody I know can recall. We've had a handful of days hotter than 80 degrees.

I don't like hot weather, and 75 and sunny with a breeze is pretty much my idea of perfect. However, summer isn't really right without at least a few weeks of shorts-wearing, and it's making me feel really off.

Tuesday I decided that damnit, we're just going to PRETEND it's summery. I took Dutch to a rockclimbing wall that Parks and Rec is setting up for free at different parks all summer. It was cold and drizzling, but we biked there in our raincoats and long pants and met friends. We stopped at the library on the way home, and it started pouring rain as we biked home from there. Dutch went to her swim lesson that evening in more drizzle at the outdoor swimming pool. We may never get to put away our sweaters, but we're going to do summer stuff. I'm going to get out the inflatable pool tomorrow if the temperature passes 75 degrees, regardless of rain.

Comments

Popular Posts