So a bike with a box on it is called a bakfiets, or sometimes a Dutch cargo bike, or a box bike. They're really cool, but kind of heavy and cumbersome on hills. There are quite a few in Portland, usually full of kids. Actually, there are many really cool cargo bike options out there - mostly super-expensive, but much cheaper than a car. I covet some of them.

Today I took Skipper* to a bike shop downtown to buy some gear** and I got her a new helmet. It's awesome. This video doesn't do it justice (and it mostly features me being annoying), but check it out! Also, notice the awesome pants, which I made her back up to show off for the camera.


And this is a video from last night. Skipper had a long day and a short nap. After dinner, she wanted me and Cook to come play with her, and we ignored her for too long.

* Dutch is off on a four-day camping trip with my aunt and uncle, an event to which she's been looking forward all summer. Cook said to her just before she left, "I'm going to miss you!" and she said cheerfully "I'm not going to miss YOU guys!"

** My boss got hit (pretty damn hard) by a car last week while biking to work (and he really wasn't doing anything wrong - the driver just didn't look for bikes before turning left in front of him at high speed). And it's getting darker earlier and earlier, and the rains are coming, so I decided it was time to invest in some more lights and reflective gear for all of us. I intend to wrap the trailer in reflective tape.

Comments

Popular Posts