There's not much point in trying to get anything done at this time of year.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned the altered state Dutch enters every year about a week before Halloween, and sustains until New Year's Day. Because her birthday is in November, she spends the last two months of every year receiving and giving gifts, attending and hosting parties, and taking time off from school at such high frequency that it pretty much feels like a non-stop celebration. 

This means highs and lows. Very high. Very low.  This weekend she was great, because hey, playmates! and today she was great because OMG this is her last Monday as a 6-year-old!!!!!!! And OMG another box arrived for her!!! I expect this crazy-happy state will last through her birthday, with a brief crash and then another lift anticipating her birthday party this weekend. Then a week off from school! Thanksgiving! And then a few weeks of let-down, ramping back up for The Big Event. Should be pretty crazy. Also, she has three weeks off of school in the next six weeks, so even if she was emotionally stable, I think I'd find it a little trying.* 

We've been piling up her presents in the dining room to be opened on the birthday morning, and I allowed her to touch and smell them but not pick up, shake, or poke them.** She sniffed the first box and turned to me with her eyes alight with excitement. "Mom, I know what it is! It smells musty, like spell books! It's Hermione's spell books!" So she might be momentarily disappointed when it turns out that she won't get to learn real magic when she's seven.


*Luckily, I love holidays, too. Food! This year, no traveling! Days off! Anticipation! Food! Awesome. 
** These are basically totally arbitrary rules, because parenthood is all about power trips and I can get away with it. Ha!


Comments

Popular Posts