Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Well Child

Skipper is well. She's smallish (33 lbs, 38 inches), but trotting steadily along the growth curves she's been on all along. As expected, I had to answer a questionnaire screening question about whether or not she could draw a person with three body parts, but the doctor said not to worry as long as she seems to have hand-eye coordination and is interested in engaging with other human beings. Which she does and is. We left with prescriptions for dealing with nasty eczema flare-ups,* and a referral to a speech therapist.**

Skipper was much more cooperative and cheerful about the whole thing than I expected, right up to the vaccinations, but it was still exhausting. I have learned over the last four years that it's very tiring thinking about your child's health and development when it isn't going textbookishly perfectly. It's always a tiny glimpse into the experience of parents of kids with real problems.

*This kid really loathes the texture of all creams and lotions, which is problematic when you're trying to keep her skin from drying out.
** For a screening, because she's hard to understand. I actually can't tell if she's speaking unclearly on purpose. I assume a speech therapist is qualified to figure that out. 

1 comment:

s* said...

unsolicited information alert: have you considered food allergies as a potential eczema cause?

months go by

We are alive! Not much to report. Cook has a new job, still in government, but doing a different kind of work. I have the same job. Duchess ...