Big Kids Are Greedy

Parenting a kid in daycare/school has a whole new layer of pitfalls. I'm accountable now to a large group of teachers and other parents, and I have to demonstrate to them that I am a decent parent, and a decent person. I just learned that when a child has a birthday, the parents are expected to provide "a healthy snack" for the whole class. This is even worse than having to provide cupcakes, which I might actually enjoy making and eating. I'm not even sure what exactly I should be making. Celery sticks? (Without peanutbutter - the building is a certified Nut-Free Zone, which is an excellent policy.) Can I go so far as carrot cake? With organic ingredients? With molasses instead of sugar? I'll have to inquire tomorrow. Maybe they have a list of guidelines.

Dutch is just excited about the prospect of wearing The Birthday Crown. She also told me this morning that when she's three, she's not going to share anything with anybody. (She seems to think this will be a big change from her oh-so-charitable behavior now.)

Comments

Popular Posts