Mean Mommy

Dutch and I spend the afternoon and evening together today, and I was not being patient with her. She was dawdling and taunting me (she has a knack for suddenly launching into deliberately provocative behavior RIGHT before we're supposed to be leaving for somewhere) and I was pissed off. My good-parenting reservoirs were dry. She was traipsing lightheartedly down the stairs, while I fumed at the bottom, waiting for her (AS ALWAYS!!!!!!), and I said "Come on, honey, we have to go" (in my mean angry voice, so that "honey" didn't sound endearing at all), and she said "Mom, I am COMING" in a very calm, firm voice, like she was my mom and I was a bratty impatient child. It caught me offguard, and tipped my angry mood enough that I had to smile at my goofball daughter, and she said, her voice full of astonishment, "Mom, you're smiling!". Like it was an incredibly rare and improbable event. I can't believe my daughter is surprised when I smile at her.

I made the resolutions I've made countless times before. I am going to be patient. I am not going to indulge my anger at her. I am going to give myself timeouts. I am going to smile more. I am. I don't think choosing to be a parent means signing away your right to be angry, to make mistakes, to be resentful and mean, and generally to have bad moments, but I think it SHOULD involve making an effort not to make your child suffer for your own problems. I am overwhelmed right now, and I feel that it's okay for Dutch to see that I'm grumpy and tired and having a hard time, and that it's part of life to feel that way sometimes. But she should never feel like any of it is her fault, and I think I do sometimes make her feel that way. Not that I would ever say anything like that, or consciously think it. (Which is not to say that I don't think daily about how much easier it was to be busy before I had a dawdling child in tow.) But sometimes I let my general stress and anxiety pump up my small frustrations with her, and she must feel it. So I have to find a way to work out my feelings without having to involve her. Also, apparently we need to start getting ready about an hour before we actually need to leave.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sometimes when I read your blog, I get scared of parenting and then I just want to take a nap.

Your adventures with Dutch are pretty amusing and I miss pictures with multi-colored striped tights.

Hope everybody is doing well and BTW, what is the band that your brother is with?
kim the midwife said…
I could have written that post on any day in the past 3 months. I am such a mean mommy- making resolutions by the hour. What does it take to change? A full night's sleep would help... At least Stella is learning what a genuine apology is.
S. said…
The band is Grand Archives. Parenting is scary.

Popular Posts