Living

I just learned last week about the concept of a "housing wage," which is the monthly income that would allow a household to rent a 2-bedroom apartment at 40% of the median rent for the area. This measure is of limited utility, given that a "household" could be a single person or, say, a family of eight. Some people are advocating for looking instead at how much money is left over to spend on housing AFTER a family pays their other necessary expenses (like... oh... childcare!).

A "living wage" in Portland is apparently $27.30/hour for a family of two adults and two kids. I make $12/hour. Cook makes more, fortunately. But all our jobs are temporary, and I doubt we reached that threshold for the year in 2009.*

My goal for 2010 is to ensure that our family earns a living wage all year. My hopes, of course, are grander, but I think this is a nice solid goal.

Next week, my further adventures in downward mobility!

*Note to self: must do taxes.

Comments

Popular Posts