Six things about my week.

I haven't been writing because I've got very little to say. Here, in no particular order and with no attempt to stitch it all together, are your random updates:

1) I crashed my bike today. No cars or kids were involved - it was just me, my bike with its slick tires, and a frost-rimed intersection on which I was turning left. I went down pretty hard, but not very fast, and neither my bike nor I suffered any serious damage (though yikes, ouch). Several bicyclists stopped to make sure I was okay and one of them said helpfully "It's pretty slick out today."

2) Dutch had her first piano lesson with her very cheerful hipster 25-year-old teacher. She loved it. I'm not sure if it's the music, her expectation of immediate great success, or just getting undiluted attention from an adult for 45 minutes, but she's thrilled. I overheard her singing a song to herself this morning that went something like this: "I can't wait for Thursdays! Thursdays are my faaaaaaavorite day of the WEEK! Thursday is when I have piaaaaaaaaano lessons!"

3) Skipper's rash is getting uglier lately. She has a new, sandpapery kind of rash (the internets think she has scarlet fever, but I'm confident that's not the case) on her belly and back, plus the regular eczema on her arms and legs. Nothing seems particularly itchy, and she's not uncomfortable, but it's pretty gruesome. We're cutting back on both gluten and dairy in the hopes that it'll reduce the flareups, if not the base-level rash. Poor kid. In related news, I'm going to launch my first gluten-free baking project this afternoon.

4) I've been doing a little data entry for a short-term project, bringing in enough cash for a few days' worth of groceries. Woohoo!

5) We decorated for the holidays tonight. It was totally hilarious, in a way that I do not have the writing chops to capture in text. You're just going to have to imagine it. These are some of the elements: both kids loudly singing what they think are tuneful holiday songs (Skipper: " HAAAAPPPPEEEEEE KrissssMUSSSSSSS! HAAAAAAPPPPEEEEEE... HAPPPPPEEEEEE!!") completely regardless of the actual music playing on the stereo, Skipper cavorting (rashily) in her underpants around the heat vent saying things like "It's WARM inside my pants!", Dutch reading all of "A Visit From St Nicholas" out loud (unsolicited), the kids fighting like drunk raccoons over possession of a bell ornament, Dutch announcing excitedly "Mom, I think I know what my Gift is! I think it's SINGING!", Skipper running out of the room, shouting "Christmas, goodbye!" and then returning and yelling "Christmas, I'm back!" and I don't know, a hundred more obnoxious, funny, cacophonous, adorable, bratty moments. Cook said later "That was definitely not what I imagined holiday decorating with my family would be like," which he meant in a good way. (I'm pretty sure.)

6) I got an email from somebody named Galadriel, and it wasn't spam.

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
Having very little to say seems to be a creative state for you! I love your random posts the most.

Your description of decorating with the kids had me laughing out loud several times. I love the hot pants and the "goodbye Christmas". It sounds utterly, messily perfect.

Popular Posts