The Bathroom Quest

I've been posting pictures lately, for lack of a thousand words, and somehow it only seems right that I should dedicate the next thousand words or so to the topic of the moment, which is Potty Training. It's happening. Dutch figured out the peeing-on-the-potty thing quite a while ago, but she's been totally disinterested (and revoltingly happy to sit in her own waste for hours), and we've been too lazy to push it. Plus, my exboss warned me years ago to avoid rushing into pottytraining, as you go from having to change diapers once in a while to spending all your time outside the house looking for a bathroom.

But last weekend we babysat a friend's pottytrained kid, and something about that experience catalyzed a transformation in Dutch. And now we have a kid in the middle of pottytraining, and I see what my exboss was talking about - I just spent most of a four-hour outing scouting bathrooms everywhere we went. The outing was dedicated to buying underwear (Dutch picked out some very fetching Hello Kitty undies - underwear for children with "Hello Kitty" printed on them seemed really creepy to me, but at least she didn't pick the Barbie undies), which added a nice undertone of irony to my desperate, near-continual search for toilets.

Comments

Popular Posts