Relaxation

I apparently clench my jaw muscles pretty much all the time. I grind (and snap!) my teeth at night, and now they're cracking all over the place. (I believe that pregnancy totally ruined my teeth - there isn't much scientific evidence behind my theory, but I'm convinced of it. That darn kid sucked all the calcium right out of me.) I have decent health insurance at the moment, for once, so I went to see a doctor about it. I'm getting a mouthguard thingy to wear at night, and last week I had an appointment with a retired dentist who teaches self-hypnosis techniques to jaw-clenchers. My boss promised to keep an eye on me, lest I suddenly start clucking like a chicken, but I'm still a little wary.

I remind myself to relax about a hundred times a day, but I clench right up again (all over myself - shoulders and neck and jaw). I feel embarassed about my failure to be sufficiently zen; maybe the hypnosis will make me into a cheerful and calm person. Even if that means I have to make animal noises.

Anyway, I'm on vacation. I'm relaxing! Dutch is outside torturing her Gramma, and I'm off duty. I will relax. I will.

Comments

cmm said…
I'm a jaw clencher, too! I also catch myself doing it a million times a day. And M just broke a filling and had to get a crown on one of his teeth d/t grinding. Why are we all such freaking stress cases?
tiffky doofky said…
Good luck relaxing! It usually takes me about a week to get the hang of it, which is fine if the vacation lasts longer than that.

I'm telling you, move back to the East Coast, where everyone is expected to be uptight and stressed out. It's that faux-zen California attitude that makes you feel like your stress is wrong!
Anonymous said…
In the teeth biz, you're known as a "bruxer." And don't worry, it's not always related to stress!

Popular Posts