The cost of a fall birthday

Dutch has a November birthday, which means that she can't go to kindergarten until she's almost 6. (The cutoff date here is in September.) I'm not particularly worried about her social/academic experience at this point, though I imagine I will worry plenty about that when the day rolls around. (Not to mention the fact that she'll be a foot taller than any of her classmates, at the rate she's going.) What I'm worried about is the fact that we will have to pay for A WHOLE EXTRA YEAR OF DAYCARE! If I was in charge, there would be free preschool for kids who turn 5 in the school year. Actually, if I was in charge, there would be free preschool and daycare for all kids, so this wouldn't be a problem. (Also, there would be a mandatory parade in every town on 4th of July. All there is around here today are lots of fireworks shows. What's up with that? Where's the classic parade with the antique tractors and nervous horses and goofy highschool bands?)

Anyway, if we ever find the resources to have another kid, we'll schedule it better, for a summer birthday.

Comments

Popular Posts