I'm sick of my own elevator speech. I have pitched myself, in the last six months, to five professors, five informational interviews, one mentor interview, and four job/internship interviews. I've been to two private companies and three government agencies. I've got many of my key phrases memorized (one embarrassing but strangely successful example: "I've come to really appreciate process"), and I'm starting to sound a little robotic.

Mostly, though, I'm just tired of it. I'm tired of chasing down leads and trying to persuade people that they should pay me a pittance to learn a whole new trade. I'm tired of staggering out of offices feeling totally wrung out and disappointed. I'm tired of the things I say about myself and the things I say about my plans, and I'm tired of wearing my one Fancy Outfit. And anyway, it's pretty clear that all these things are not working, since no one wants to pay me even a pittance.

So I think I'm going to take a break for a little while, maybe troll ebay for a new Fancy Outfit, and come up with a new elevator speech. I think this one's broken...

Comments

Popular Posts