Updates, part 342

1) I have stuck with my exercise program, more or less, for six months. You would think that having exercised for 2.5-5 hours a week on top of my regular activity (which amounts to 4-5 miles of walking a day), I would be notably lean and fit. This is not the case. (I am certainly fitter. I may actually be stronger than I ever have been, which is very satisfying. I sometimes offer to pick up heavy things for people. Of course, I can't lift very much, because my Strongest Ever is still pretty wimpy.)  Due to both my advancing age and my tendency to eat too much of everything, I am not going to be lean and fit unless I make drastic lifestyle changes, and I am not going to do that. But I'll keep going with it. Fending off additional weight gain and getting fitter is a reasonable and worthy outcome, if unexciting. Cook suggested I set myself an independent goal, like running a marathon or climbing a mountain, or bench pressing 200 pounds, but I'm not feeling it.

2) I am so old that Birkenstocks have become trendy. Also, high-waisted pants, but somehow the Birkenstocks surprised me more. I do like the idea that I will eventually become fashionable if this normcore thing sticks around.

3) Summer is half over.

4) I have been watching TV. Specifically, I have been watching Friends. FRIENDS! I am enjoying it, but I had forgotten/never realized how soaked the show is in homophobia and misogyny, plus the astonishing whiteness of it all. Also, I had forgotten how much I loathed Ross. So I have mixed feelings.

Yeah, that's it. Kids are fine, Cook is fine, weather is less oppressively hot, the whole city hasn't fallen down around us yet. All's well. 

Comments

Popular Posts