BHT

Lately I have read this book and this book. This is problematic, because both books include appalling details about what goes into processed foods.  So now I have to stop feeding us processed foods.* Not that we eat a ton of processed foods,** but we do like cereal and crackers and things like that.  I don't think I'll be up for taking processed food out of our diets completely, but it seems worth at least cutting down.

I made up a batch of muesli to kick off my campaign, and it's pretty terrible. Duchess is appalled - she said "Mom, you have to stop reading!" I found a recipe for homemade bran flakes; we'll see how that goes.


*Processed in ways other than what I would be able to do in my own kitchen, I mean. I'm not talking about moving to a raw foods diet.
** Apparently we eat a lot less processed food than most Americans. My understanding of this was blurred by my daily experience of my Portland friends and acquaintances, all of whom do wholesome stuff like growing and canning their own tomatoes, and making farro salads for lunch. I live in a world where people apologize for serving you non-organic produce when you come over for dinner. I actually know a child named Kale.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A child named Kale will be the name of a memoir in about 30 years. Filled with wholesome foods and childhood trauma.
Come to Denver where I will feed your whole family processed foods without apologies :)
CM

Popular Posts