We're fine.

Don't worry.

We are exceedingly busy. Okay, I'm exceedingly busy, with the kind of emotionally and intellectually exhausting workdays that leave me with very little left at the end of the day to do much beside stumble through the motions (I do continue to exercise almost daily, I'm proud to report, but that's pretty much maxing out my ability to do anything other than read romance books and watch bad tv).

Cook is busy. The kids are upper-middle-class-kid busy, juggling gymnastics (both), kung fu (both), Chinese (Duchess), piano (Skipper), taiko (Skipper), ultimate frisbee (Duchess), and wilderness survival/LARPing* (Duchess). Duchess is going to start a historical interpretation training program in January, learning how to pretend to be an 18th century girl living at Fort Vancouver. She's been wanting to do that for years, ever since we went to Champoeg and she found out that they take on children volunteers.

Skipper is doing very well at everything, but continues to be filled with defensive rage. Not sure what to do with that. Duchess is also doing well at everything, and seems pretty happy when she's not throwing weeping/screaming tantrums over problems that seem ludicrously trivial to everybody except her. (I concede that watching bad tv and reading romance novels is probably just an adaptation of this non-coping tactic, but I wish she'd hurry up and adapt, too.)

That's pretty much the news. I'll write again when I have mental space. Might not be soon.

*Duchess has had two weekend trips to the woods, where she practices starting fires and tracking animals. She's very into mushroom-identification right now. 

Comments

Popular Posts