Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ugh

Yesterday the whole family was totally out of commission, stricken with what we think was food poisoning. Skipper was unaffected, because she doesn't really eat anything, but she's got a bad cold, and was feeling a little under the weather too.* Dutch was a champ; this was her first experience of adult-style illness, in which you barf multiple times and feel bad all day** and she not only made it to the bathroom in time every time, she was cheerful and almost... stoic. This is not an adjective I have EVER used for Dutch before.

Anyway, Cook and I were pretty much either asleep all day - one of us stayed out on the couch to keep a nominal eye on the kids while they played and read. At 5, I gathered my strength and went out with Dutch to walk 250 feet to the convenience store, so I could buy the sick-people-food I'd been wishing for all afternoon. I wore my pyjamas and my glasses (the broken ones, repaired with duct tape), and felt all addled, but when we got home, the whole family sat/lay on the living room floor and ate a delicious dinner of pretzels and ginger ale. We were all asleep for the night by 8 PM. Dutch is back at school today, fully recuperated, but Cook and I are still feeling pretty crappy, though enormously better than yesterday.

Also, the popcorn ceilings are gone! And the abatement workers didn't destroy the plaster ceilings! I was finally able to get over today to see how things are going, and was much relieved.



*This was good, because it meant she better tolerated staying home all day with a bunch of zombies.
** As opposed to the small-child experience of illness, in which you barf once, feel bad for an hour, and then are perfectly fine.

No comments:

months go by

We are alive! Not much to report. Cook has a new job, still in government, but doing a different kind of work. I have the same job. Duchess ...