Astigmatizzy

Skipper had her second eye exam today, which went much, much more smoothly than her first eye exam.* Her compliance earned her a bribe of hot cocoa with whipped cream. Unfortunately, she also earned herself a pair of glasses, and a diagnosis of farsightedness, a little tiny bit of amblyopia, AND astigmatism in both eyes.** Dang.

Public Service Message Time! All you parents of young children, take note that it is apparently a good idea to schedule your kid's first eye exam around the age of 3. I did not know that; we only did it for Skipper because of Duchess's amblyopia (which has some kind of genetic component, and Cook had it, too). If Duchess had perfect vision, Skipper's kind-of-crappy vision would have gone under the radar for at least two more years, and probably longer. Supposedly the early diagnosis helps prevent further vision problems. I wasn't feeling so great about it, though, as I grimly watched Skipper try on her new frames, and considered what it's going to be like getting her to keep them on every day all day.*** Happily, Skipper thinks that wearing glasses is what big kids do, so she's pretty chipper about the prospect, so far.


*It pales in comparison to the Horrific Phlebotomy Experience of 2012, but it was bad. Dilating eye drops and an uncompliant toddler are a really terrible combination.
** Her kind-of-crappy vision was noticeable immediately during the exam. Duchess and I exchanged horrified glances as Skipper mis-identified pictures at alarmingly large sizes.
*** The glasses guy asked me if I wanted the warranty, and I said (grimly) "YES." There's another Public Service Message for you - in my vast experience, even a relatively careful child will absolutely trash their glasses in a month, given half a chance.

Comments

az said…
My parents used to buy me several pairs of glasses (3+) at once knowing I would break them all. Hope Skipper continues to think they are cool and grown-up.

Popular Posts