Positive feedback

Hey, you know what it turns out I've been starved for? Being praised. In the last week or so, I've had several people tell me I've done well at various tasks at my new job, and thank me for my work. These were not important tasks, and while I did them well, I did nothing exceptional, and yet people THANKED me for them! And they were genuinely pleased with me!

I can't even tell you how good that feels. I'm pretty sure I've gotten more positive feedback in the last week than I had in the preceding five years, total. It has an astonishing motivating effect; I'm so delighted to get praise, like a golden retriever, that I'll go the extra mile for people who are nice to me, and fetch any grubby tennis ball you want. I think employers who are considering employing people who have been unemployed for a while should know about this effect.


Comments

tiffky doofky said…
This made me smile in recognition. I am so glad you are getting praise as part of your daily diet again!

Popular Posts