Brief recap of stuff I've written before

Duchess went to the first in a series of five three-hour programming classes today. I signed her up at the suggestion of a parent of a friend of hers (Spruce, whom Duchess has known for seven years), who is also signed up for the class. Duchess really enjoyed the class; she said it was "awesome."

My goal for Duchess's extracurriculars have changed. I initially thought I'd sign my kids up for a range of activities so they could find a thing they loved to do. When it became clear that Duchess likes to do almost everything, I found myself casting around. for a reason to keep lining up activities for her. For this class, though, and also her after-school electronics class, I know exactly why I want her taking them. I want her to enter college (or at least middle school) feeling competent and confident in skills that open the doors for careers in tech. Playing with tech stuff is still the province of boys. Duchess is the only girl in the ten-kid electronics class, and she and Spruce are two of the three girls in the ten-kid programming class. It will take a lot of confidence to sign up for computer science classes in college, and I want her to have that.

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
Last night I went through an internet wormhole that resulted in me reading Justine Bateman's blog about entering UCLA at age 38 to get an undergrad degree in computer science (programming). It was actually pretty interesting, on a couple of levels. First, I was impressed by the fact that she chose a difficult subject for which she did not have much natural aptitude. She is candid about what a slog it was, how much catching up she had to do, and how she went about getting the help she needed. Second, it was cool to think about how a woman who became insanely popular on a TV show as a teenager could end up becoming interested in computer science and education. Last, she features other non-traditional students on her website and I was delighted to realize that I could be one of them! But back to Duchess amd your planning for her eventual college career: I think it's smart to point her in this direction and lay the groundwork for her future confidence in male-dominated realms. Especially since she seems to be into it.

Popular Posts