A Dear John letter

Coffee, I'm quitting you. We've been together a long time, and it's been great. I really appreciate what you've done for me. I love how you smell, and I love you in the morning when you're mixed with sugar and dairy. I love sipping you while reading a book. I am grateful for all the good times we've had.

But coffee, it's time for our relationship to change. We can still get together sometimes, but our ongoing affair has got to end. You're part of a lifestyle that's just not healthy for me. Apparently, changing your habits gets easier once you've changed a few (making a habit of breaking your habits!), and I'm hoping that by quitting you, I'll pave the way for exercising more, sleeping more, worrying less, working less, and eventually becoming a much better person. It's not personal, and I hope you will forgive me. I look forward to meeting up occasionally, maybe at a coffeeshop now and again, or on visits to friends' homes. But I can't keep you in my daily life anymore. I love you, coffee, but it's time to say goodbye.

Comments

kim the midwife said…
but coffee isn't bad for you! what gives? maybe you could give up not exercising. that would be good.
S. said…
Ah, but giving up coffee is cheaper and takes much less time... thus an easier starting point.

Popular Posts