Corps of Discovery

I expect you've all been waiting tensely for my next post! Really? You want to know what's going on? You need some kind of distraction from worrying about the decomposing chipmunk caught in the protective barricades around your garden?

Well... here it is! I went to Vancouver. I came home. We all worked. Dutch went to an acrobatics class for a week and looooooooved it.

The Big Cooks came to visit and swept us away on a luxurious vacation to Astoria and Tillamook. This is Dutch being a total brat on our first vacating day.













This is Dutch navigating a towboat at the Maritime Museum.















This is a scenic viewpoint.












The viewpoint included a canoe-based memorial for Comcomly (follow that link - he was a Chinook "power broker" in the early 19th century).














This is our hotel, which was built on a pier over the Columbia River. Dutch loved it - boats and birds...













This is some sort of weird dumbwaiter-y thing (probably for guns or bullets or scalps or something) at a decaying military installation at Fort Stevens, which is beautiful courtesy of nature and spooky courtesy of crumbling instruments of death.













Really beautiful; I suggest you visit it very soon. There are swallows nesting in the bunkers, and all kinds of natural gorgeousness everywhere you look.






























*

We thought a lot about Lewis and Clark, who spent a soggy and depressed winter here.

Anyway, then we came home. I quit my job. I am starting an internship in two days. It's scary quitting a job (poorly-paid and part-time, yes, but it has great benefits and it's a Real Job and I'm in charge of stuff) in order to take an internship (even more poorly-paid, with no benefits and no power), but I'm glad to be making the step. And hey! After all my whining and worrying, it all worked out!

In other news, Cook thinks he ran over a toad today while biking home from work. And in the last few days Dutch has announced that she doesn't "love mans, only womans" and that she wants to start wearing nailpolish.

*Note that Dutch has developed a fondness for dressing like a Mennonite on drugs. I'm worried she's going to start wanting her hair done in one of those cult-y poufs.

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
You have no idea how tensely...

Popular Posts