Mean ladies

The first person in the office always checks the voicemail. Usually, this isn't me, but today it was, and there were TEN messages on the voicemail, unusual for us.

Three of them were from the same phone number, and from two different women, one sounding fairly elderly, the other sounding younger, both of whom wished to express that they HATE people in Iran. HATE THEM. They think all Iranians are "stinky, rotten freaks" and should be "bombed to hell." Especially Iranian kids.

I found this deeply disturbing. I'm not surprised when people express prejudice or intolerance, or views with which I disagree. That's okay; people have the right to say what they want, even when I think it's stupid or hateful or just Wrong. But somehow, declaring that a whole countryful of people, of children, should be murdered, just seems... oh... kind of TOTALLY BEYOND THE PALE. I'm sorry, but my support for freedom of speech only goes so far.

The second woman wrapped up her message by saying "have a nice day!"

Comments

Popular Posts