Don't read this if you're grossed out by childbirth.

There's something about this pregnancy that I haven't posted about yet, because I was slightly nervous about responses from you, my cherished six readers... We're planning for this baby to be born at home. I know that home birth makes lots of people worried; I fear, actually, that Broken-Butt Lawyer's parents, who have known me since I was 13, will call me and try to convince me to change my mind, purely out of loving concern for me. I also know that lots of my friends, some of whom read this, have given birth at home and are totally supportive.

Anyway, it's a kind of delicate thing to talk about. But I feel weird not mentioning it. It shouldn't be something I have to hide so as to avoid worrying people who care about me. Don't be scared.

So now that that's out of the way, I can tell you that I've got this hilarious list of home-birth preparations from my midwives.* I am instructed to supply the home with a range of items ranging from the cozy (candles)** to the practical ("several bendy straws" and "6 bottles of Gatorade") to the extremely practical ("2 large black garbage bags" and my favorite, "gallon sized plastic baggies for the placenta and other items").***

But back to the home birth choice - since the last birth happened so fast, and the worst part by far was the trip to the hospital (with me kneeling on the back seat, unable to sit down because there was a baby wedged in my pelvis) and the subsequent argument with the emergency room admissions guy who insisted that I had to sit down in a wheelchair to be taken to the delivery ward (with me leaning against a column in the middle of the lobby, lowing like a rabid heifer, because there was a baby wedged in my pelvis)****, this seemed like a no-brainer. Plus, I found it totally crappy to be woken up every hour to have my blood pressure and whatnot checked after I finished pushing a baby out of my pelvis, and I'd rather eat my own food and sleep in my own bed.



*For you worry-ers out there, there will be at least two midwives at the birth, trained in all sorts of handy medical skills, equipped with oxygen. They're even CNMs, if that makes you feel better. I have no plans to deliver the baby myself (and neither does Cook), and we will not hesitate to zip off to the hospital should the need arise.
** Based on my first birth experience, which happened at high speed and included lots of vomiting, I think candles would actually be dangerous, as they'd just get knocked over during my frantic scrambles for the bathroom.
*** WHAT other items!!!???!!
**** I'd just like to point out, as a matter of pride, that I was the one who resolved this ridiculous crisis (between contractions) by suggesting a compromise of having me kneel in the wheelchair. I think I should be able to put this on my resume: "Able to problem-solve with a team even while in active labor."

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
I am glad to know about your plan! I have no worries about home births, though this may stem from woeful ignorance rather than serene acceptance. Be that as it may, I am excited for you and glad you will be in your own space, eating your own food, and not forced to team-build whilst kneeling.
Anonymous said…
"and I'd rather eat my own food and sleep in my own bed."

Amen to that.

You didn't have to ask of course, but let the world know that we may be counted among your supporters for this idea. It's wonderful.

My unsolicited advice: make sure that you have a birth tub. Given the speed of your first labor, you may not need it, but it's pretty nice for the mom (though it doesn't make the birth happen any faster).

Oh also: be clear with your midwife about exactly what she means when she says "call me when it's 5 minutes between contractions." 2 a.m. on the second night in a row is NOT the best time to discover that she means from start of contraction to start of contraction as opposed to time BETWEEN contractions. I'm just saying.

I really hope that we get to see you before everything. We send our love.
Anonymous said…
el tanin meant to say that the birth tub *may* not help birthing happen faster. but then again, it might. but in your case, you may not want that!
yay home birthing! that's excellent. el tanin's right. we're very excited and supportive about it.
blood pressure checks every hour post-birthing is outrageous. it seems insane that they would wake one up. that's the most important and most reliable sleep we got post-birth.
will dutch be at home during birth?

Popular Posts