Quick transitions

Last night Dutch complained at bedtime of feeling sick, and she was convincing enough that Cook and I spent some time negotiating who was going to stay home with her for how long.* This morning, she trotted into our bedroom about 10 minutes before the alarm was due to go off, interrupting my dream about trying to set up a trampoline with the guidance of a manual that said on the cover "Required: Lifetime of Construction Experience,"** and she said "Mom! There is a buzzing in my belly, and a pounding in my heart!"

I said "Uuuuggghhhhhh? Hmmmm?" Then she came right up to my face and I squinted at her groggily, trying to figure out if we were in the midst of a medical crisis (ie if I was about to be barfed on), or if she was just making up some spiffy song lyrics. There was a significant pause, and then she beamed at me and said "Hey! Mom! Know what I really like? Bacon! I really like how it tastes, and I love how it looks!"

So I think she's okay.



* "So I'll go in at 7:30 and get some stuff off my hard drive, and then I'll come back and work at home while you go in for the four meetings you have today, and then you should call me and maybe we can swap so I can bring in that report I'm supposed to turn in..." Modern parenting. The Cleavers never had to do this.

** This seems like a seriously unsubtle message from my subconscious that I feel that I am unequipped to deal with some major project on which I have embarked. It's a tossup whether the relevant project is one of the classes I'm taking, school in general, adulthood in general, parenting in general....

Comments

Popular Posts