We Have The Flu.

I started feeling better Friday night, about the same time Cook fell ill. On Friday, I also belatedly put together my symptoms and realized that I had the classic Flu. I can't remember the last time I had The Flu! Of course, I also immediately realized that I had done a woefully bad job of avoiding making other people sick. (For one thing, I took Dutch to school every morning, a herculean effort that left me exhausted for the rest of the day, and also provided the virus plenty more opportunities to find new hosts.) I'm sorry, everybody. I thought I just had a cold. And a fever. And aches and pains,including really achy eyeballs. I know, it was obvious, and I'm sorry.

Last week while Skipper and I were reading in bed, she read me an article* in the Atlantic about how viruses change host behavior. Apparently, The Flu makes you more social (before you crawl into bed feeling like you're going to die, that is). I may have missed that part, or maybe the impulse was quashed by the experience of my seatmate on the airplane home saying to me (among other things), all in the first two minutes of our acquaintance, "Hello sweetheart! I'm so glad you made it!" and "So what do you think of Obamacare?"


Dutch came down with The Flu today and has been holed up with My Neighbor Totoro and Little House on the Prairie** all day. I'm pretty sure Skipper is waiting until Wednesday to come down with it, in order to maximally screw up my work schedule. For now, she's very jaunty, maybe because she enjoys having the run of the house.

It hasn't been a great week, for sure. But I did get some pruning done today! AND! I got to attend a PRUNING WORKSHOP! So the weekend was salvaged. I really, really enjoy pruning things, I really do.




* Just kidding. She actually just summarized the key points. 
**Two things that could actually mash together pretty well.

Comments

Popular Posts