Skipper explores unconsciousness

I think my life is just going to be crazy for seven more weeks. I don't see much respite ahead!

In the hallway outside Skipper's room at the daycare, the teachers have posted one-page reports on things they've observed in the classroom. It's a pretty academic daycare, and they tend toward little stories with pictures of a baby, or several babies, doing something developmentally interesting. They're captioned with titles like "Oliver discovers the window," or "Lincoln explores his hands." There's one picture of Skipper. There's no caption. She's sleeping.

Skipper is the youngest baby in the daycare, and is having the hardest time adjusting. What she does there, mostly, is cry and sleep. (She sleeps very well there, actually, maybe because she sees no point in staying conscious.) She's always crying when I leave her there, and either crying or asleep when I come to pick her up. I'm finding this quite painful. The room is lovely, the teachers are really nice and seem very competent. There's nothing the least bit wrong about the place. It's just wrong to be leaving my very sad baby behind.

But... apparently she did better today. It'll get better. And someday, I'm going to unpack.

Comments

Popular Posts