What's WRONG with me?

Why am I blogging when I should be in bed? When I've been up for 19(?) hours, most of which I spent on planes and in airports? I don't know. I guess I just feel like I haven't really arrived here yet, and somehow writing about it will help. Or something.

Anyway, we had a great vacation. I don't really have much to say about it. (Look at the pictures!) The Big Cooks were wonderful hosts. They spoiled us all with delicious food and tons of Dutch-entertaining* and Dutch in particular was so sad to leave.

We had a pretty crappy trip home, though it went relatively smoothly. Skipper was That Baby You Hate On the Plane, and shrieked and writhed in desperate exhaustion for most of the trip from Chicago to Portland. I'm sorry about that, everybody on the plane. She was really, really sad. Dutch, on the other hand, silently watched some terrible Renee Zellweger movie that probably scarred her for life, and then silently fell asleep in an insane yoga posture with her back arched and only the top of her head touching the back of her seat. Then she stoically endured being woken by the really loud announcement of the descent, the kind-of-scary and turbulent landing, the schlep through the airport, the schlep on train and bus, the final third-of-a-mile walk home in the rain... Dutch isn't generally inclined toward stoicism, so we were very grateful.

We came home to find a heap of wonderful boxes and cards! Thanks so much to all of you! It was difficult to get Dutch to bed, what with all the clothes to wear and books to read and flat princesses to play with.

Also, when we got home, our housemates welcomed us home and presented us with the dinner they had kept warm for us in the oven, AND a holiday gift - coupons for hours and hours of Dutch-sitting.

Happy New Year! I have high hopes for 2010, since our first day started and ended with kindness and generosity. That's got to mean something. It's okay that I still haven't finished The Brothers Karamazov, right?

*Grandpa Big Cook put in some time sitting in the middle of the living room holding up a tent with his head so that he and Dutch could be Antarctic explorers. That may be a record in the grandparental kindness books.

Comments

Popular Posts