Bullets

I don't like being unprepared. One of the more disruptive things that parenting has done to my life is that I'm unprepared a lot more often, and I often end up being knocked off my trajectory. On Tuesday, I was all ready to have a nice day of doing homework, broken up by a free Pilates class at the new, spiffy, rec center. Then Dutch barfed on the bus on the way to daycare.

On Thursday, I was all ready to have a nice day of homework and class, broken up by a free lapswimming session at the new, spiffy, rec center. Then I remembered (while entangled in Dutch's hair, attempting with extremely limited success to make a "braid crown") that Dutch was due at an eye appointment in 45 minutes. 1.5 hours (and two missed bus connections) later, Skipper, Dutch, and I arrived at the eye doctor. I don't like being unprepared, and I HATE being late.

Somehow, we're very busy again.

Updates:

  • Skipper loves baths. LOVES them. We made the mistake this week of running a bath for Dutch and letting Skipper see it, and she got royally pissed off and insisted* on being put in it. When it's time to remove her from the bath (she has eczema, so we try not to let her soak), she gets even more pissed off. When she's in the bath, she windmills her arms nonstop, in order to maximally splash everything around her, screws up her little face into this ferocious grimace, and yells. This is apparently how she expresses great delight.
  • Cook and I have demonstrated our Fabulous Parenting Skills by deducing this week that Dutch is much more likely to be Not Horrible if we make sure she's getting enough sleep and exercise, and snacking often enough. Amazing! It only took us five years! I wonder how long it'll take us to actually follow through on this knowledge consistently.
  • I've started swimming again, at the new, spiffy, rec center. I LOVE it. As much as Skipper loves baths. I love it so much that after my Thursday morning of shuffling the kids around, I found myself with only 40 minutes left before my class, and rather than spend that time eating my lunch and finishing my reading for class, I sprinted to the rec center to cram in a short swim. That's not normal behavior for me when faced with an easy excuse for forgoing exercise.
  • Skipper still won't eat more than a few bites of solid foods at a meal. She also still hates daycare. She is, however, making all sorts of other progress, and thinks she has made even more than she has.

No other news!


* By "insisted" I actually mean "hollered 'LADDLE DADDLE DADDLE DADDLE!' while writhing so much she had to be put down on the floor and then making a valiant attempt to climb into the tub"

Comments

Popular Posts