2012

2012 is going to be Dutch's lucky year. She announced that tonight after beating me at Carcassonne. She got the green light to stay up as late as she wants tonight, as she has every New Year's Eve since she turned 3. I think the first year she actually fell asleep before her normal bedtime, and she's never made it past 10:30, but tonight she's going strong, and I suspect she'll make it. I probably won't, however.

I feel a little wary of 2012. I'm really tired of being in limbo. I'm getting too old to be in limbo. Even if this isn't a fabulous year for me personally, I'd really like to see some positive social changes out there, lest I become a terrible, terrified, cynical shadow of a person, crouching in a cave waiting for everything to come crumbling down. However, there are plenty of anti-cave forces in my life, and plenty of reasons to hold out hope and enthusiasm for 2012. I'll focus on those.

My New Year's Resolutions:
1) Whittle down and organize my various communication and media electronic files - email, photos, movies, etc. I know that sounds petty (and I should be whittling down other things), but it makes me feel weirdly out of control to have all this stuff piled up in virtual heaps. And I'm going to get my email inbox down to empty this year. Take THAT, 2012!
2) Be nicer. I'm not setting out any metrics for that; we'll see how it goes in a qualitative sort of way. Maybe I could at least avoid yelling at my kids for a few days, to kick things off.

***

Now it's 11:15 and Dutch is asleep on the couch in an elaborate nest of pillows and blankets that took a half hour to construct. I think I'll wake her up for the turn of the year, for the first time. Rituals and ceremonies are important to this kid. She offered some very solemn toasts at dinner, raising her teacup of sparkling cider to say big important words.

I wish you all a joyful, rich 2012. No caves!

Comments

Popular Posts