You guys. My kids are awful, especially when they're together. Help me. Tell me they're going tp be decent human beings some time in the near future. Tell me I'm not irreparably damaging them in some terrible way.

I'm telling myself that it's temporary, that they'll stop being terrible once our schedule slows down next week, or maybe when I come out of my own not-helpful slog. But I'm not sure. I think that my kids just have slightly dark hearts, like my own and that they just haven't yet learned the utilitarian value of extending kindness to every one in their lives. Truth be told, I am unkind* to them more often than I like to consider. It's so easy to abuse the privilege of familial love, particularly when your heart is just a little dark.

I guess it's reassuring that they usually behave kindly toward other people. And we'll just have to grumble and whine and yell a bit in our dark cave for a while until this phase passes and we can be kinder to each other.




*Not mean, usually, just ungenerous. I deploy cold looks, long lectures, and yelling.

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
I think they are decent human beings already, just like you! And all of our hearts have some darkness in them. And being outwardly nice/kind isn't always the best barometer of decency.

Popular Posts