Acorns. Eels.

Skipper's class does a lot of singing with their Japanese teacher. Skipper's grasp of Japanese is minimal, so when she sings or speaks Japanese to us, we're always skeptical that we're actually hearing Japanese. For example, she was sure that Happy Birthday in Japanese was "Otanja azania." However, it turns out to be "O tanjō-bi omedetō" which is sort of close. I guess. 

She came home yesterday singing a song called "Donguri Korokoro" which is apparently about acorns. Her singing sounded like gibberish,* so I looked it up. It turns out she had most of it more or less right, with missing words and parts of words. It is also, fortunately, a popular children's song, so there are plenty of videos online. And now the song is completely stuck in my head, and I will be singing about acorns for the rest of my life.





Skipper, by the way, was very embarrassed to make this video, so I had to promise to sing it with her.


*While I know absolutely nothing about Japanese, I'm starting to get a sense of how it generally sounds.  I've heard much more Japanese spoken in the halls at Skipper's school in the last two months than I heard in my entire life before. 


Comments

s* said…
We love this song thanks to Elizabeth Mitchell.

Popular Posts