Feelings

I have a lot of thoughts today, like most everybody who thinks about politics at all. I'm home sick today (actually sick, not just hiding from the expected violent protests downtown that are very likely to disrupt my transit commute), and hate-reading coverage of the inauguration.

I glimpsed the headline of an article I read a few days ago - Republican Men Say It's a Better Time to Be a Woman Than a Man. My initial reaction, of course, was an immediate gut response of FUCK YOU, REPUBLICAN MEN!! Ugh. I think it's just another illustration of the kind of feelings that got Trump elected in the first place, the I-think-other-people-are-getting-my-privilege feeling, the systems-are-great-until-other-people-get-to-benefit-from-them feeling.

I'm finding myself becoming more and more liberal in MY feelings, so you can thank Donald Trump for my evolving understanding of privilege, racism, and the future, which is more or less encapsulated by "Hm, the idea of reparations is really starting to make a lot of sense to me."

Also, on another rambling note, Cook and I were talking about Clinton's campaign the other day, and I said, as I have before, that I believe that the role of misogyny in her loss is much more significant than the coverage and the conversation around it indicates, and I said "I don't think we're going to have a woman president for a long time" and I started to cry. To CRY. I didn't know how much that bothers me until that moment.

And, for my last rambling note, here are some pieces of media that I have found interesting, useful, or comforting lately:
A message to my doomed colleagues in the American media
The Psychological Research That Helps Explain the Election
Busted: America's Poverty Myths
Cities in the Age of Trump
This Machine Kills Fascism
Planet Money episode 748
Every Way Jezebel Described Donald Trump During the Presidential Election
Most episodes of The Weeds if their voices don't make you crazy
The Onion's version of Joe Biden and the Biden/Obama memes
What Americans Wrote to Obama
Slate's Trumpcast: The End of American Leadership (and actually, all the Trumpcast episodes, even if all you listen to is the Reading of The Tweets).

Comments

s* said…
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I wish we were neighbors.
Thank you for all the links. I need them.
Also, I want to tell you all the time how much I appreciate the sentences you write and the order in which you put words together.
tiffky doofky said…
I have been saying the same thing about the underrated role of misogyny in the election. And I must note that my dad was actually the first one to talk to me about this, way back in 2015 when Clinton first announced her candidacy. At the time, we both felt certain that she would be elected, but he was concerned about the threats she might receive and the difficulty in governing in the middle of such a sexist/misogynist landscape. As the campaign wore on (and on and on) and the many unthinkables started to become real, I was devastated by the same emotion you describe. And redevastated on Election Day. And most days since.
tiffky doofky said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular Posts