Trying to be a feminist parent (without over-reacting or helicoptering) is confusing.

The scene: Dutch and I are walking home from school, just the two of us.
Dutch: I played with F all day today!
Me: Oh?
D: Yeah! We played Cops and Robbers.
M: Seriously? I didn't know anybody had actually played that game since 1953. Were you a cop or a robber?
D: I was the treasure!
M: Really?
D: Yes!  I was the girl who had to do everything anybody told me to do!
M: Ew.
D: Except the bad guys.
M: So... you had to do everything F told you to?
D: Yes.
M: Ew.
D: And they chased me and they caught me against the building and I had to do everything they told me to!
M: Ew. Ew, ew, ew, ew.
D: But then I destroyed them all!
M: Ah.
D: I made them into robots instead of robbers, and I made it so they didn't want the treasure, they wanted cows! They ate cows!
(pause while I try to figure out what all this means)
M: Did you have fun?
D: Yeah! I destroyed them ALL!
M: Okay then. How was music class?

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
Cowboys and Aliens was so disappointing, but I am really looking forward to Cops and Robots!

Popular Posts