Birds. Bees. You know.

Dutch and I have had the Conversation. Remember that? Well, she doesn't. Yesterday, as we were chopping tomatoes  together, she mentioned (in the context of a conversation, not out of the blue) that she plans to adopt her kids rather than give birth to them. I nodded; she's talked about that before.* Then she said "Mom, how do you stop yourself from having a baby?" and I fumbled around a little bit. I talked about sperm and eggs and stuff. It was pretty vague. Finally, she said "But how will I stop my husband from mixing up his sperm and my eggs?" and I said "There are lots of ways. There's... Um. Well, it's a complicated subject, and I'm having a hard time explaining it in a way that will make sense to you. Do you want me to get you a book explaining it?" and she said "Yes!" and I said "Great!"

God, I love having a kid who can read.


*Seeing Skipper get born seems to have convinced her that growing your own baby is a foolish way to get a kid.

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
I am a big fan of "Where Did I Come From?" And there was a purple one with a gold outline of a mother and child that was pretty good, too.

Popular Posts