Part 2

We left Seattle via ferry, and went to Port Townshend to visit more friends. The weather remained cold, but we'd reconciled ourselves to it by then. Dutch loved the ferry. I remembered how much I loved riding ferries as a kid. I still find it pretty darn exciting. This is one excellent selfish reason to have a kid; you can be excited all over again about things.
Port Townshend was slightly less cold and slightly less rainy than Seattle. We had a lovely visit, including a trip to the Best Park Ever. I also remembered how much I love beaches! Dutch found out how much she loves poking sticks on beaches.
We took the scenic route home. Gosh, they do some nice scenery on the Olympic Peninsula. I did not do it justice with the camera. (Cook helpfully pointed out that this may be due to my failure to follow the practices of successful landscape photographers. Ansel Adams, for example, did not take his pictures out the window of a moving car.)
Thank goodness for vacations, and for opening my horizons a little bit, and remembering that there's a whole world outside my tiny little circuit. I can't think of a way I could possibly live somewhere so beautiful (mountains! ocean!) and rural, since I'm not independently wealthy (yet), and I'm not sure I would actually to, what with all that driving and my personal distaste for everything related to cars, but it was sure nice to visit.Then we came home. It was sleeting while we unpacked, but the sun came out just in time to illuminate the tree outside our bedroom, which had burst into full bloom in our absence, and welcome us home.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How was the drive south? Was the snow/sleet a problem?

I hesitate to point it out, but almost immediately after you guys left the sun starting peeking through. By early afternoon it was riotously sunny and in the low 60s. No kidding! It was a most beautiful afternoon for frisbee. Who'dve thunk it?

Also, I know that PT shares initials with Pete Townshend, but we don't have an 'h' in the town name.

Yay! First comment!
tiffky doofky said…
I love seeing your photos! Port Townsend looks beautiful - in fact, your entire trip looked gorgeous to me, perhaps because I love rain :) You are right about the benefits of getting away; add to those that it reminds you to appreciate the comforts of home.

Popular Posts