Things that make me want to lie in bed all day.

It's not the doing of the laundry that wears on me, or the washing of the dishes. It's the doing of the laundry for the 90 billionth time, the folding of the pair of pants that I've folded 90 billion times before, the finding of space in the overcrowded drawer for the pair of pants that I've put away 90 billion times before, the finding of the space for the folded-up clothes rack. It's the putting away of the dish I've put away 90 billion times before, and the knowledge that I will put it away 90 billion more times (I hope).

Also, it's the follow-up with every single thing I do. Sometimes it feels so difficult to do things that seem to be so simple for Normal People that I feel I should just be able to rest on my laurels - "Wow! Way to go, me! I cooked dinner/set up an informational interview/set up a vacation/finished the quarter/etc.!" - but somehow, it's never possible. There's always the follow-up dishwashing/thank-you note for the interview/packing/cleaning out the shelf covered with academic detritus to prepare for next quarter/etc. etc.

I'm not sure how I turned out to be the sort of person who is completely exhausted by the effort of making the main dish, and never has the energy for the garnish or even the side dish, but I am. And phew, that main dish totally fries me, every day.

I'm feeling just a tiny bit sorry for myself today. Maybe you can tell..

But hey! Vacation! Hooray! Must go pack.

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
I hear you. And you are not the only person who is exhausted by the accretion of small things. Keeping a self, relationship, child, family, life, job, and school career going all at once is a very tall order! You do such a good job, I doubt anyone worries too much about the missing parsley.

Popular Posts