The magic of the library

Today we had a parent-teacher conference (synopis: Dutch = nice kid, likes to boss everybody around and ask 90 billion questions a day), so Cook and I picked up Dutch together. As we were rounding her up, one of the (many many many) student teachers told us that she had been pretending with Dutch that they were horses, and Dutch had told her that she was a feral horse. The teacher thought this was charming and funny, which is probably due to the fact that she wasn't involved in any of the six thousand readings in our home last week of a horrible nonfiction children's book about horses... I mean, I guess I think it's charming and funny too, but I also know firsthand how many repetitions of a weird piece of information like that are required to produce that funny and charming quote. Not sure it's worth it. (Though don't get me wrong - there are plenty of books I'd be happy to read aloud six thousand times. Like Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh!)

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
I am struck by the fact that your last entry described your dad's feral childhood and this entry features Dutch's desire to be a feral horse. Can a viewing of Truffaut's "Wild Child" be far behind?

Popular Posts