Minkin Jinkins

Dutch is in love with Ella Jenkins. We have a few of her songs on various kids' music anthologies, and they've always been favorites, but the love affair really came to a head when we went on a road trip vacation over spring break. I checked a couple of Ella Jenkins CDs out of the library, and they proved really helpful in reducing whining and occupying the kid in the car. Now that we're home, Dutch requests the CDs and entertains herself by singing and dancing and following instructions through one or even two repetitions of a disc. The songs are kind of catchy, and most of them are not awful to listen to over...and over..... and over... and over... so Cook and I are okay with this obsession.

Dutch thinks Ella is talking to her alone when Ella says things like "who knows an animal from Africa?" and yesterday she informed me that Ella (whom Dutch familiarly calls Minkin Jinkins) wanted me to come and skip around the chair. I suggested that perhaps Ella was going to have to wait, since I urgently needed to research the transportation funding system in Iceland. (Speaking of which, I got an email back today from the skjalavörður of the Samgönguráðuneytinu!*) Apparently, Ella was okay with that.

Anyway, I mentioned this in Facebook (yes, I have a little interwebs problem), and got two comments from friends fondly remembering their childhood obsessions with Ella (one said "OMG, I love Ella Jenkins!"). I had no idea that 1) Ella was so freaking old and 2) that there's such a Minkins fanbase out there.

*Records Manager of the Ministry of Communications

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
As the proud writer of the "OMG" mentioned in your post, I have to take another opportunity to talk about how freakin' awesome EJ is. Also, to come out as a 31-year-old who formerly used annoying acronyms like "OMG" as ironic post-modern commentary, but now uses them as sincere markers of feeling.

Anyway, Ella rocks, and I think she was even old when I was a kid. I loved singing along with her and following her instructions; like Dutch, I thought Ella was speaking directly and solely to me.

Popular Posts