Learning to say no.

I have this awful awful group project at school right now. It's SO awful. It makes me feel sick to my stomach whenever I think about it. A few weeks ago, I came to class a few minutes early, and some of my classmates, including one of my slacker groupmates, were there, and somebody asked me how I was doing. "Oh," I said, "I'm a little overwhelmed!" and my slacker groupmate helpfully said "You just need to learn how to say no."

Oh. Oh, that's what I need to do. Like you! You, who refuse to do stuff that I then have to do, because SOMEBODY has to do it, and this professor can't be bothered to figure out how to grade this project, so nobody knows what we have to do or when or WHY. If I said no, who exactly would finish this awful project?

Anyway. She's right, too. I'm bad about saying no. I don't like to upset people, and I want people to like me (especially when I'm babbling incoherently at them), so I do say yes too often. If I said no to more things, I'd probably be less stressed out at the moment. But it's definitely possible to say no too much, and I guess I'd rather err on the side of saying yes.

Also, tonight is the last one of way too many over the last few crazy-making weeks in which Cook or I have to attend some sort of evening thing. So things will be a little gentler for maybe a week.

AND we started working on our little starter vegetable garden this weekend, which was pretty exciting. I said yes to tomatoes and basil and zucchini! YES!

Comments

Popular Posts