So, so beautiful

Tonight Dutch elected to watch some internet videos of Olympic ice skating rather than hear a story about Pippa and the Penguin meeting a princess. We watched a completely ridiculous ice dancing routine involving operatic music, fluttery swan-esque costumes, and hilariously melodramatic facial expressions, like a telenovela on ice. I enjoyed it; I like telenovelas, and I do appreciate how difficult the athletic feat is, even if they try their darndest to make it look silly. But Dutch started making strange choking noises halfway through. I thought she was laughing at the silliness, but no.

D:Mom! I feel like I'm going to cry! It's so beautiful!
Me: Hm.
D: Why do I feel like this? They're just ice skating.
M: Ah.
D: But it's just SO BEAUTIFUL.

A few minutes later, she informed me that she could definitely do a triple flip. She doesn't think it looks hard.

Comments

tiffky doofky said…
Just watched Kim Nu-Ya and did cry a little. Figure skating is generally emotional for me to watch because I am so scared that the skaters will fall. When they arrive safely at the end of their routine, I tear up in relief. But watching Kim Nu-Ya, I found myself a little weepy because of the sheer beauty and ease of her performance. She was so confident and sure of herself. (Was I crying in appreciation or envy??)
s* said…
I don't think I've ever made it through watching an Olympic ice skating/dancing routine without tearing up at least once.

Popular Posts