Dutch and I watched more skating last night. We watched Joannie Rochette's short program. Then I looked her up, and read a blog post I liked that captured some of what I felt about watching her compete.

Dutch and I have been arguing quite a bit about the Olympics. She says things like "they're so lucky to be in the Olympics!" and I say things like "Well, there's some luck involved, but mostly they work really really really hard," and she nods and says "Wow, they're so lucky!"

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the brief glimpses of the Olympics that I'm getting. I love the winter Olympics. There's something so loveable about Scandinavians (and some other people) getting to do their demented winter sports in front of the world, wearing hilarious outfits. I'd like to have taken a few weeks off from my life to just sit on a couch and watch all day. * And if I got to do that, I'd totally say "Dude, you have GOT to check out Kim Yu-Na. Wow."

Also, heja Sverige!**

*While I was writing this, Cook came in and said (unaware of my topic), "The Winter Olympics is so weird. It's the Rich White People Olympics!" Which is true. Damnit, now I can't enjoy it quite the same way anymore. Taking two weeks off to watch the Racist Elitist Olympics just doesn't feel right. Fortunately, it turns out that the Summer Olympics are also Racist Elitist Olympics, so at least I can feel okay about liking curling and not hurdles.
**It's totally okay to go nationalist when it's on behalf of a small country that doesn't beat up on other countries. That's a little-known rule of jingoism.

Comments

Joel said…
re: Elitist, Racist Olympics.

Wikipedia "Errol Kerr." According to grandma, he's our cousin.

So, be proud!

Popular Posts