Status updates

Today I was home with the girls by myself all day. I haven't done that since the summer (I think), and it's different now. Skipper wants to do stuff now, the pesky child. It was a long day. Though that may have been at least partly because I didn't drink any coffee, and I was barely functional until 4, when I was able to caffeinate.

Highlights of the day:
1) Skipper bit Dutch, really hard, because Dutch was physically blocking her from invading the area where the Shirley Temple paper dolls were spread out on the floor. To Dutch's credit, she only screeched and didn't backhand Skipper in retaliation; there were still toothmarks on her arm five hours later. Alas, this is only the beginning.
2) I got to give the "there are lots of kids worse off than you" talk! Dutch was complaining that it wasn't fair that I refused to allow her to purchase the frog-turns-into-a-prince gimmick toy, and I informed her that it is ridiculous for one of the richest people in the world to complain of unfairness regarding lame-ass gimmick toy distribution. I said that a kid who has no food and has to eat mud cookies, for example, is allowed to complain about the unfairness of that. Dutch, a compassionate soul, agreed that a kid who has to eat mud cookies DOES have a right to complain about unfairness. Then Dutch, a charitable soul, suggested that she could mail a dime to Haiti for kids to use, and she'd be sure to include a return address in case the kids wanted to send the dime back.
3) Tonight, after I kissed Dutch goodnight, she said "Your brain is shaped like a zero!" Which is pretty much how I feel these days, but I was still a little insulted.

Comments

Popular Posts