Today's news brought to you by the recession.

Keeping up my string of depressing posts (is anybody still reading?), I feel the need to inform you that my dream job has, in fact, been filled by somebody else. I caved in and emailed my rival, and she told me she'd heard through the grapevine that they filled the position internally the week the opening was posted, and never even interviewed anyone.

Glass-half-full take-home message: Hey, at least I never had a chance, so I didn't exactly get rejected. Exactly.

Glass-half-empty take-home message: The competition for jobs is so acute that I can't even get an interview for a somewhat unusual job for which I am very well qualified. And all my serious competitors for this job are still unemployed.

Next steps: Today I applied for an $11/hour temporary job for which I'm massively over-qualified (and probably won't even get an interview, because 9000 other people will apply), and started the paperwork to get the kids onto the state health insurance program.

Looking ahead: If anybody knows of a job even vaguely related to planning and health, preferably with benefits, please let me know. We'll go anywhere.

Comments

s* said…
Madison, WI? We could move there and find completely awesome, well-paid-with-benefits jobs together.
tiffky doofky said…
Still reading! Here's another "glass half full" slant: even when dealing with the abject horror occasioned by job-seeking and adulthood, your writing and perspective are unblemished. You help me make sense of things every time you write about them.

Popular Posts