Needed: lots of cheap rugs

Our downstairs neighbors complained to us today. We have a second-floor apartment, hardwood floors, two kids, and young, unemployed child-free downstairs neighbors who like to sleep in. It's a recipe for disaster.

I'm entirely sympathetic to their unhappiness. Years of living on both the first and second floors of older apartment buildings have taught me that even normal, shoe-less, calm, adult-style walking around can sound like insane clog-dancing from below in apartments with hardwood floors. Even the cats who lived upstairs from us in one apartment sounded like a team of sumo wrestlers running relay races in the middle of the night. Toddler-style pounding around at 5AM is totally crappy. Because of this, we are constantly working on both kids to not run, not stomp, not bang on the floor, not drop stuff, not yell, etc. I feel like I'm saying "shh" about half the time I open my mouth. The Radio Flyer cannot be deployed until after 10 AM. Nobody wears shoes in the apartment. Clearly, it's not enough.

Cook and I are both the sort of people who absolutely loathe confrontation and criticism in any form,* and being informed (fairly nicely) that we are a problem makes us feel really sick and terrible. Some part of me feels sort of annoyed - we really are making a fairly significant and continual effort to avoid noise-torture of our neighbors, and there's only so much we can do. Part of me admits that if I were young and childless and being woken up at 5 AM by the upstairs kids, I would be pretty bummed. I would not complain, though - I think even Young and Childless Me knew that there's a limit to how much quiet can be required of kids, and of course she hated confrontation, too.

Anyway, we'll get some more rugs and stuff, but I am worried that we have a bigger problem. Maybe Young, Childless, Unemployed, Sleeping-In Neighbors don't have experience with hardwood floors, or maybe they don't have experience with kids, but I suspect that they don't realize the limits of what we can do without cutting off Skipper's feet.

*Just like Dutch...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Too bad for them. Seriously. If you can keep kiddos reasonably quiet, then they can be reasonably tolerant. Or move.
I have no patience for this sort of thing(: cm
az said…
You can only do so much - there is going to be noise. Maybe they should have chosen to live in an apartment where no one is above them!
Anonymous said…
If push comes to shove, why not switch floors?
tiffky doofky said…
I am currently experiencing the frustration of living underneath some young, childless people of unknown employment status. They do not party, they are not up late, yet their everyday noise patterns make me CRAZY. I will not complain, however, because I recognize that there is only so much they can do, I have chosen to live on the second floor of an older building with hardwood floors, and this is city living. I also hate confrontation and criticism and don't want to be on either side of it. I would say that you have done all you can do - hopefully, your downstairs neighbors will grow some city calluses, get some earplugs, and/or start enjoying the benefits of getting up early!

Popular Posts