Stuff I Like

1) My boots. Oh, I love them. (In related news, it turns out that tights that aren't fifteen years old and ill-fitting are way, way more comfortable than tights that are.)
2) My new stand mixer. Oh, I love it. You should SEE it mixing stuff! You guys, it CUTS IN BUTTER FOR ME!
3) Skipper's new attitude toward preschool. Apparently being wrenched away from her routine for a week made her realize that her routine isn't all that bad, actually.
4) The internet. We have to hire a babysitter to cover the two days a week when Skipper's not in preschool, because I have a new (temporary, part-time) job,* and the internet is so great for this sort of thing. Remember how people used to put help wanted ads in the newspaper? How did people find babysitters before there was craigslist?
5) My new commitment to being a Tiger Mother for ten minutes a day. I'm pretty excited about this. Dutch is taking an after-school Spanish class two days a week, and she came home from her first class today whining about how she hated the class. She hates it because the teacher doesn't speak any English, and Dutch doesn't understand anything and IT'S SO HARD, MOM. I gave her a stern lecture about how learning is hard, and nothing worth having in this world comes easy** and blah bitty blah bitty blah blah blah. Later, Cook gave her the same lecture*** and then I decided that she would have to practice her Spanish vocabulary ten minutes a day. Tonight she painstakingly made seven flashcards, and memorized their contents. Rrrarr!
6) Our ten-year-old wooden drying rack. The sunshine is finished for the year here in Portland, and wet clothing hung outside will only get wetter.
7) Playdough.
8) Furniture slider pads
9) My bike helmet.


*Yeah, I got a job. It's an internship, actually, and it's a good thing, and I'm looking forward to it, but I'm just not very excited about it, somehow. I would have been quite excited about it two years ago. Now I'm so cynical about the prospect of it actually leading anywhere that I can't dig up much enthusiasm.


** Yes, those words came out of my mouth. I was amazed.


*** Except better. It was a little bit inspiring.

Comments

Popular Posts