It's kind of too bad.

Remember how I was all like "Oh noes, we've got to get Dutch interested in science!" I didn't really do anything about it. However, a year late, I've decided that all birthday and Christmas presents* this year for both girls will be science-themed. Better yet, engineering-themed. I think anybody who spent more than twelve seconds in our house would agree that we have enough dress-up and playing-house toys, and the girls are well-grooved into the nurturing-talking-relationship-based Girl Track.**

I really want to get Dutch a snap circuit kit for Christmas, in spite of my recognition that she probably won't like it. The fact is, Dutch doesn't really seem at this time to have any inclination toward engineering - she's sloppy, easily distracted, and whatever the opposite of detail-oriented is. (Like me.) I'm not saying it's impossible that she will grow up with a mechanical inclination, but it doesn't seem very likely. But really, snap circuit kits are pretty cool. So... maybe. And I think I have sold Cook on the notion of getting some kind of construction-y thing like Zoob for Skipper. Skipper's aptitudes are still unknown to us, so maybe we'll get HER a snap circuit kit.

I've already informed Dutch that she will be attending at least one week of science/technology camp next summer. She wasn't exactly elated about it. She actually said "Um... does it involve getting dirty?"*** But she will be elated. Oh, SHE WILL BE.


*That we provide, I mean. If you're inspired to buy Barbie Laundromat for them, please feel free. They'll probably love you forever, and give me crap every year until I die about "that awful Christmas when all you gave me was that snap circuit kit that I hated."
** Skipper has this ghastly baby doll that she loves, named Baby Baby, and she tenderly puts Baby Baby to bed, and rocks her, and tells her stories. Baby Baby recently acquired a puppy, which she in turn nurtures. 
***It reminded me of the awful, awful laundry detergent ad I've been having to watch with my Daily Show doses, in which a mother bemoans her daughter's preference for "hoodies and cargo shorts" - I bet THAT kid would like a snap circuit kit. That kid would LIKE getting dirty.

Comments

Cab said…
cooking can be considered a science- she likes cooking- I'm getting her cookie dough!
JT said…
I think this is a great idea. I also think that how you guys frame things can make a world of difference to how the girls see their capabilities and interests. Only recently did I come to recognize that I'm not horrible at math. In fact, my only problem with math and science was that I was inadequately prepared to study them. Re-taking intro chemistry 2 years ago really made me rethink things. I got an A- actually close to an A+- in a class that over 10% of the class failed. Yes, I'm that smart. No, I'm not. Anyhow, I think this is a great idea and will keep my eyes open for some science/math nurturing things. I'm thrilled about this.
JT said…
Love Cab's idea too.

Popular Posts