I went to Duchess's parent-teacher conference yesterday. (I brought Spruce and O Blond as well as Duchess, which was confusing for the teacher, who asked ''are they all yours?'') The teacher thinks Duchess is ''an absolute joy to have in class.'' She had nothing but positive things to say, but my favorite thing she said is that when she asks the kids who they think they can '' sit with and be successful, '' almost all of them pick Duchess.

I don't think Duchess's academic experience is going to change, but at least I got to talk about my concerns about what the endless stupid worksheets are doing to Duchess's ability to tackle challenges.
I like the teacher, who seems to be working hard to serve all the kids to the extent she's able, given the constraints of curriculum, testing, and time. She's clearly frustrated by the constraints, and she's not exceptional, but it seems like she brings her all to the classroom every day. I certainly can't ask for more than that. And she likes my kid, which is a bonus.

Comments

Popular Posts